Adding icons, screen shots, and other images
There are four kinds of images that you can upload to the BlackBerry World vendor portal:
- Vendor logo: Your vendor logo represents your company, not the products that you upload. You upload your vendor logo when you apply for a vendor account.
- App icon: The icon that is displayed with your app in the BlackBerry World storefront.
- Feature image: An image that displays on the Featured Items screen in the BlackBerry World storefront.
- App screen shots: Images that demonstrate key features of your app in the BlackBerry World storefront.
When preparing images for BlackBerry World, keep these tips in mind:
- Create distinctive and attractive images for your icon and featured image so that they identify your brand and are easily recognizable.
- Create an app icon that is visually similar to the icon in your .cod or .bar files.
- All images should match the design of your application.
- Don't use a screen shot of your application as an app icon.
- Avoid creating screen shots that display multiple screens.
- Capture images that demonstrate your application’s key features or functionality.
- All images must be suitable for all ages. If your application or theme contains mature or adult content, do not depict any graphic nudity or suggestive positions/content in your images.
- BlackBerry World will not accept graphic sexual content, graphic violence, profanity, hate speech, or other offensive images.
- All screen shots, icons and feature images must be taken from a BlackBerry device or simulator. If you submit screen shots from any other platform, such as Nokia, Android, or iOS, they will not be accepted. If you submit screen shots from a simulator, make sure that you don't include the image region outside the screen.
- Screen shots and icon images cannot display BlackBerry devices or simulators, including the use of BlackBerry brand, logos or trademarks. This may imply that BlackBerry endorses or is affiliated with your application. You must only display the application’s content screens.
- If you are using the word BlackBerry in your images, it must be spelled with two capital Bs, followed by the registered trademark symbol as follows: BlackBerry®. Ensure there is no association or affiliation implied when referencing the BlackBerry brand.
This section doesn't apply to the app icon that is installed with your app on the device Home screen. For more information about your Home screen icon requirements see the UI Guidelines.
- Create a distinctive and attractive icon that identifies your brand and your app.
- Create an icon that looks similar to the icon displayed on the device.
- Avoid using a screen shot of the app as an icon.
- Do not use profanity or other offensive material in the icon.
- Adding an icon for your app at the Default tab is mandatory, but you may also add a different icon for specific devices (BlackBerry 7 or earlier smartphones, BlackBerry 10 smartphones, and BlackBerry PlayBook tablets).
- If you upload an icon for a specific type of device, it will override the icon uploaded in the Default tab.
- Your app icon must be an RGB file in .png format that is 480 x 480 pixels, for all types of devices.
When you add an app to BlackBerry World, you must upload a featured image that displays on the Featured Items screen in BlackBerry World.
- Create a distinctive and attractive image that depicts your app.
- Avoid using dense text. BlackBerry World scales the image for a variety of different screen sizes.
- Do not use profanity or other offensive material in the image.
- Adding a feature image is mandatory, but you may also add a different feature image for specific devices (BlackBerry 7 or earlier smartphones, BlackBerry 10 smartphones, and BlackBerry PlayBook tablets).
- If you upload a feature image for a specific type of device, it will override the default image.
- The feature image must be an RGB file in .png format that is 1920 x 1186 pixels, for all types of devices.
Product screen shots
When you add an app to BlackBerry World you need to upload screen shots to support it. When you upload screen shot images, you can use the same image for all types of devices, or you can upload images separately for each platform your app supports, (BlackBerry 7 or earlier smartphones, BlackBerry 10 smartphones, and BlackBerry PlayBooktablets).
You can upload up to 50 screen shots of the app for each type of device. The screen shots display in the Product Details screen of BlackBerry World.
Consider the following tips when creating product screen shots:
- Capture screens that demonstrate key features or functionality.
- Avoid creating screen shots that display multiple screens.
- Do not use profanity or other offensive material or images in screen shots.
When you format your product screen shots for the Default tab, remember the following points:
- When you upload screen shots on other tabs, they will be used instead of the screen shots on the Default tab. For example, if you upload any screen shots on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone tab, none of the screen shots on the Default tab are displayed for the BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
- Create .gif files, .jpg files, or .png files that are no larger than 2560 x 2560 pixels.
When you format your product screen shots for the BlackBerry 10 smartphone tab, remember the following points:
- Create .gif files, .jpg files, or .png files that meet the criteria for either of the two supported aspect ratios.
- For an aspect ratio of 16:9, images can have a landscape or portrait orientation. They must be a minimum of 1280 x 720 pixels, a maximum of 2560 x 1440 pixels.
- For an aspect ratio of 1:1, use a minimum size of 720 x 720 pixels and a maximum size of 1440 x 1440 pixels.
When you format your product screen shots for the BlackBerry PlayBook tab, remember the following points:
- Create .gif files, .jpg files, or .png files that are sized at either 1024 x 600 (landscape) pixels, or 600 x 1024 (portrait) pixels.
Create your vendor logo
You can upload a vendor logo when you set up your member account. This image is related to your company instead of a product that you upload.
Create your logo as a .png file 480 x 480 pixels in size.