Before you begin
You should have a basic understanding of the C/C++ languages and some experience running applications with the QNX Momentics IDE. Before starting this tutorial, you should have the following things ready:
- The BlackBerry Native SDK for Tablet OS
- Your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or simulator
Create your project
Since we don't want to write all of the setup code from scratch, let's create a project using the BlackBerry Tablet OS OpenGL ES 1.1 Application Template Project. The main reason we use this template is that it includes a file called bbutil.h. This file contains convenient functions that you can call from your application. These functions help you perform common tasks such as initializing and terminating EGL, loading and rendering text and textures, and resizing your EGL surface, as a part of orientation change handling.
- In the QNX Momentics IDE, click File > New > BlackBerry Tablet OS C/C++ Project.
- Provide a project name, such as HelloNativeSDK. Click Next.
- In the Project type section, click BlackBerry Tablet OS OpenGL ES 1.1 Application Template Project. Click Finish.
The project is created and appears in the Project Explorer view. As we discuss various aspects of the application, you can follow along in the code.