Configure your app
Now that you've set up your development environment, you need to configure your app so that you can build and test it.
There are a number of steps you should follow to configure your app:
- Create or import a project
- Create a BlackBerry solution target
- Configure the bar-descriptor.xml file
- Add Assets and Permissions to the app
- Add libraries
Create a BlackBerry solution target
A BlackBerry solution target is the build target configuration for your application. The solution target is device specific which means that you must create a BlackBerry target first and then you can create another target, such as the simulator, and base it on the BlackBerry target or on Win32.
To create a build target configuration for your BlackBerry application:
- In Microsoft Visual Studio, on the Build menu, select Configuration Manager.
- In the Configuration Manager window, in the Active solution platform drop-down list, select New.
- In the New Solution Platform window, in the Type or select the new platform drop-down list, select BlackBerry.
- In the Copy settings from drop-down list, select <Empty> or Win32.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
Configure the bar-descriptor.xml file
The bar-descriptor.xml file (BAR) is the application descriptor file that is added to your project when you create a new BlackBerry Solution Target for your project. This application descriptor file is required when creating an application for the BlackBerry 10 OS or the BlackBerry PlayBook OS. You can modify some of the information on this page.
- In the Solution Explorer, double-click the bar-descriptor.xml file.
- Click Set from Debug Token. If you have your debug token set up already, the data from your debug token is imported.
From the Asset Configuration drop-down list, you can choose which Build Configuration to use and add assets to your application.
From the Permissions drop-down list, you can choose which permissions you want to add to your app.
If you have converted your project from a Win32 project to a BlackBerry project, you will need to find the equivalent BlackBerry libraries for your project and add them before it will build.
- On the Project menu, select Properties.
- Click Linker and add the required libraries.