Why use the BlackBerry Native SDK for Tablet OS?
The BlackBerry Native SDK for Tablet OS lets you create applications for BlackBerry PlayBook tablets. This SDK allows you to create applications that leverage the power and flexibility of the OS.
The BlackBerry Native SDK for Tablet OS is for intended for developers who:
- know they need the highest levels of performance from their applications. For example, 3D game developers
- need to do something that they can’t do with the existing frameworks and might be able to do using the Native SDK
- want to port or migrate an existing C/C++ application that they want to port to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablets
Of course, if you just want to play around with the Native SDK to learn what’s possible (and there’s a lot), that’s absolutely encouraged as well! The Native SDK offers developers capabilities to:
- create new and compelling applications and games
- integrate with open source libraries, such as OpenGL, Coco2D-X, etc.
- adapt and port existing applications and games to the OS
If the Native SDK isn't for you, there are other options for developing applications on BlackBerry PlayBook tablets:
- WebWorks (HTML)
- Java Android Runtime
- If you are porting an existing Android application, you can simply repackage and distribute your application through BlackBerry App World.
- Adobe AIR (ActionScript)
- If you have an existing game or application written in ActionScript, you can rebuild and repackage your application and distribute your application through BlackBerry App World.