Set up your test environment
Configure your BlackBerry PlayBook
Make sure you have the latest BlackBerry PlayBook OS
If you are using a BlackBerry PlayBook to test your app, make sure you have the latest version of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS installed on your tablet.
- To download the latest OS, on your home screen, on the status bar, select > Software Updates.
- Tap Check for Updates, and then follow the instructions to download and install the updates.
Enable development mode
- To switch to development mode, on your home screen, on the status bar, select > Security.
- Set the Use Development Mode switch to ON.
Install and configure a BlackBerry PlayBook Simulator
If you don't have a BlackBerry PlayBook to test your apps on, you can use the BlackBerry PlayBook Simulator.
The simulator is hosted inside a virtual machine which supports accelerated graphics, audio, and peripheral simulation. This lets you test your application and simulate the touch interface using your mouse. Note that some feature and functional limitations apply.
- Download and install VMware.
Download the simulator installation file.
- Navigate to the location on your computer where you saved the simulator installation
- Windows: BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-n.n.n-nnnn-Win- nnnnnnnnnnnn.exe
- Linux: BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-n.n.n-nnnn-Linux- nnnnnnnnnnnn.bin
- Mac: BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-n.n.n-nnnn-macosx- nnnnnnnnnnnn.dmg
where n.n.n-nnnn- nnnnnnnnnnnn is the identifier for the release.
On Mac systems, double-click the downloaded file to mount the disk image. From the mounted disk, double-click the executable to launch the installation program.
- Follow the onscreen installation instructions for the simulator.
- Launch the simulator:
- On Windows or Linux systems, launch VMware Player.
- On the Home screen, click Open a Virtual Machine, navigate to the folder where you installed the simulator and select the BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator.vmx file.
- On Mac systems, double-click BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-2.1.0 in Finder to launch the simulator. This will open the simulator in VMware Fusion.
After you finish:
You should take a snapshot of the virtual machine so that you can return the virtual machine to a known stable state if necessary. To learn how to take a snapshot, view the online help in VMware.
Each time the simulator starts, VMware assigns it an IP address. You must provide this address to the deployment tool of your choice to load your application in the simulator. To display the IP address, the simulator must be in development mode. Development mode is enabled by default. To view the IP address, click the icon.