Creating a Cascades project
The first step in developing an app is creating a project for all of your source code and assets. To create a Cascades project, you can use the New BlackBerry Project wizard. The wizard has four tabs that you need to complete: Project Type, Templates, Basic Settings, and API Level.
To start the wizard in the Momentics IDE, on the File menu, click New > BlackBerry Project.
The Project Type tab allows you to select whether you want to create an app (Cascades or Core Native), a library (Cascades, Static, or Shared) or a Native extension (BlackBerry WebWorks).
To continue, make sure that Application is selected, click Cascades, and then click Next.
The Templates tab provides project templates that you can use to create your project. Each template is a unique starting point that you can use for building your app. You should take some time to explore the different layouts and navigation models to see what kind of UI works best for your app.
To continue, select a template from the list and click Next.
The Basic Settings tab allows you to provide a name and location for your project, and to add the project to an existing working set if required.
To continue, provide a name for your project in the Project Name field and click Next.
The API Level tab allows you to select the API level that you want to build your app with. Each API level corresponds to a version of the BlackBerry 10 OS (for example, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3) and supports a specific set of devices. For more information about API levels, see API levels.
To continue, select the API level that you want your app to support and click Finish. Your app appears in the Launch configuration drop-down list and builds. You can see the results of the build in the Console view.
Every project that you create or import into the Momentics IDE contains the following files and folders:
- src: This folder contains the C++ source code and header files for your app.
- arm: This folder contains binaries that are used for running the app on a device.
- assets: This folder contains the assets for your app, including images, sounds, video, and .qml files.
- translations: This folder contains translation files containing localized text that the app uses to support different locales.
- x86: This folder contains binaries that are used for running the app on the BlackBerry 10 Device Simulator.
- bar-descriptor.xml: This file contains all of the configuration settings that your app requires. For more information about various configuration settings, see The bar-descriptor.xml file.
- config.pri: This autogenerated file contains build instructions for precompiled header files.
- Makefile: This file contains build settings for your app. When you use the Momentics IDE to build and package your app, you don't typically have to modify any of these instructions. For more information, see Makefile security settings for Cascades apps.
- precompiled.h: This file contains a list of header files that you want your app to precompile.
- .pro: This file contains project settings for your app. It also lists the libraries that your app links against. For more information about linking against libraries, see Link against libraries.
When you create a file in a project, the Momentics IDE also creates a record (local history) of every time you change that file, and how you change it.
Last modified: 2015-03-31