After you create an awesome app, you might want to offer in-app purchases. The Payment Service lets you do just that. To get started, include the Payment Service classes into your app. Then you can offer subscriptions, charge for additional features, or sell any digital goods that you register on the vendor portal for BlackBerry World storefront.
To use the Payment Service, your app must be distributed through BlackBerry World and your digital goods must be associated with your app in the vendor portal. To learn more about registering apps and digital goods, see Registering with BlackBerry World.
You can use your imagination to create digital goods in your app:
- Sell guides to help users learn about levels, back doors, and bonus points.
- Offer additional levels or new characters in your game.
- Upgrade your users to the advanced version of your app.
- Sell extra services, such as music or video streaming in your app.
- Offer items such as eBooks, personalized greeting cards, photos, and maps.
- Sell subscriptions to renewable goods, such as magazines and newsletters.
What can the Payment Service offer?A simple payment solution
You can incorporate the Payment Service in your app and then upload the app and its digital goods, along with pricing and description to the BlackBerry World vendor portal. The Payment Service manages all the technical and financial details for you. You don't have to waste time managing relationships or business terms with payment providers and coding for integration into each provider's solution.A fast and familiar payment solution for end users
The Payment Service provides a fast familiar purchase experience for your users. Using their BlackBerry ID, users can apply various payment methods, including credit card, PayPal and carrier billing, toward the purchase of digital goods you define—all without leaving your app.An easy way for you to keep track of your earnings
Digital goods in your app are described and priced according to the pricing tiers presented in the BlackBerry World vendor portal. In the vendor portal, you can manage and track sales of your app and its digital goods. Then, you can keep track of how much you're earning.
How does it work?
All the Payment Service functions are designed to make the user experience consistent for each type of payment and for every BlackBerry 10 device. When a user wants to use your app to purchase digital goods, the process is shown below.
- A user makes a request to purchase digital goods in your app.
- Your app builds the Payment Service information that it needs to make a purchase and then your app initiates a purchase request.
- If the user isn't logged in with a BlackBerry ID account, the Payment Service prompts the user to log in without leaving the app.
- The Payment Service prompts the user to confirm the purchase. The user can change the payment method or set up a new payment method.
- The Payment Service verifies that the digital goods are registered and completes the purchase through the payment provider that the user selects.
- The Payment Service provides a receipt for the purchase and your app displays the receipt in your UI.
- If there is a problem with the transaction, the Payment Service provides the error code and your app handles the exception.
Let's get started earning some money! Register your digital goods, learn about what the Payment Service has to offer, and use the code samples to create an app that includes some in-app purchasing.
Last modified: 2013-03-21