Running your BBM connected app
Build the sample app
- In the folder where you extracted the BBM SDK, open the Samples folder.
- Open a command prompt, and navigate to
the BlackBerry WebWorks
Packager folder. This location may vary based on where you installed the BlackBerry WebWorks
cd C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks Packager
- Compile the sample app using the
bbwp "<path to>\BBMWebWorksDemo.zip"
This will create a bin folder in the same folder as the sample app. The bin folder contains .cod files that can be loaded onto a BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator or a BlackBerry smartphone.
Loading your app onto a BlackBerry smartphone will require a signed .cod file.
Run your app using the simulators
- In the folder where you extracted the BBM SDK, open the MDS Simulator > sdk > mds folder.
- Double-click run.bat to launch the BlackBerry MDS Simulator.
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where you installed the BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator. By default, the location of this folder is C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Smartphone Simulators <OS version>\<simulator version>.
- Double-click the sim1.bat file (or your custom .bat file) to launch a BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator with appropriate settings to run your app and communicate with the BlackBerry MDS Simulator.
- In Windows Explorer, in the BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator folder, double-click the sim2.bat file (or your second custom .bat file) to launch a second instance of the BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator with the appropriate settings to communicate with the first BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator.
- To have each instance of BBM have the other as a contact, in the first BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator instance, open BBM .
- Click the Menu key and click the Invite Contact menu item.
- Click Invite by sending a PIN or email message.
- In the To field, type 2100000B. This is the default PIN of the second BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator instance.
- In the second BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator instance, open BBM and accept the invitation.
- In the first BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator instance, close BBM.
- On the Home screen, click the icon for your BBM platform app.
You can now communicate between the two BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator instances.
Last modified: 2013-08-14